In 1962, Gord and Dawn McKendry purchased a 100 acre farm on the west side of the 7th Line of Mono, between the 15th and 20th side roads, in the beautiful Hockley Valley. In time, in addition to their other farming activities, they began to plant Christmas Trees, both on their 7th Line farm and in other locations. McKendry’s Christmas Tree Farms became a popular destination for families looking for a quality pre-cut or cut-your-own Christmas Tree and a fun, relaxing farm outing.
We look forward to welcoming you & your
family to our farm this December!
By 2017, Gord and Dawn decided that the time had come to sell the farm. During our first visit, we – the Johnson Family – fell in love with the rolling hills, the ponds, and the streams that run through the property. We bought the farm from the McKendrys in August, 2017. That summer, we were serenaded each summer night by hundreds of crickets, and we explored walking trails along the little creeks flowing through the hardwood.
In December, 2017, we welcomed the McKendrys’ long-time, returning customers and many new guests as we were initiated into the Christmas Tree business. We were privileged to be a part of many families’ holiday memories. Each year since, we have planted hundreds of new trees on the farm so as to ensure a continuous supply of trees for the future.
In addition to Christmas Trees, we grow hay for horses and cattle, and other crops.
Our Christmas Trees, hay, pumpkins and several other products were certified organic by Pro-Cert in 2019. We believe that while the farm is “ours,” we are really just stewards of the land for our lifetimes, and that it is our responsibility to care for the land and nurture the soil, that it may continue to provide for us, for our children, and for our community for years to come. Accordingly, we use no herbicides, pesticides, or artificial fertilizers on our farm.
Make a Day of It
While you’re in the area, why not:
- Drive by the site of Schitt’s Creek’s Rosebud Motel, just two minutes from us on Hockley Road.
- Head over to Sheldon Creek Dairy, about 15 minutes northeast of us, and stock up on milk, cream, yogourt and other dairy products produced right on the farm. You can also buy Kawartha Dairy ice cream, locally-produced pies, meats, preserves, cheese, and lots of other amazing foods (sheldoncreekdairy.ca).
- Visit the Rosemont General Store (www.rgstore.ca) for delicious pizzas and take-away food.
- Grab a bite at the Hockley General Store, located at Hockley Road and Mon0-Adjala Townline.
- If you’re visiting us on Saturday, check out Windrush Estate Winery, in Adjala, about nine minutes east of us (windrushestatewinery.com).
- Or if your plans have you heading west from the farm, take Hockley Road to the Third Line of Mono and visit Adamo Estate Winery (adamoestate.com).
- For good food and local beer, drop by Caledon Hills brewery (www.caledonhillsbrewing.com) in Palgrave.
- For (even more local) beer, visit the Mono Centre Brewing Co., located at 388113 Mono Centre Road, Mono – just a few minutes from the farm. Try a flight!
- Check out the Museum of Dufferin (MOD) (www.dufferinmuseum.com).